Dallas Theft Attorneys
We Can Help You Defend against Theft Charges
Property crimes are the most common types of crimes committed in the U.S. Among property crimes, however, theft may be the most common. Regardless of its ubiquity, theft is taken very seriously in Texas – even a conviction for a seemingly minor offense can result in a steep fine and jail time.
At DebnamRust PC, our attorneys can help if you are charged with theft. Our approach involves building your defense from a personalized perspective. This means that we can build a legal strategy unique to your situation that can help you avoid or mitigate your responsibility for the charges against you. If you wish to learn more about how our theft attorneys in Dallas can help, reach out to us today to schedule a consultation.
Call (214) 758-8681 now or contact our firm online to learn more.
What Is Considered Theft in Texas?
According to Texas law, theft occurs when someone takes property, a service, or something else of value from someone else with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of their property. Many people don’t realize it, but it’s also considered theft when someone sells or receives goods that one knows to be stolen. You can even be charged with theft if you purchase stolen titled property, such as a vehicle, without properly executing a title search to ensure the property isn’t stolen.
How Serious Is a Conviction for Theft in Texas?
All of that said, there are many reasons why you may be facing theft charges, even if you didn’t know the property in your possession was stolen. If you are facing charges, one of your primary concerns may be how serious a conviction can be.
The answer to that question is simple: It depends. Specifically, the potential penalties you face depend upon the severity of your charges while the severity of your charges depends upon the value you are alleged to have stolen.
Texas has three classes of misdemeanor theft, each defined by a range in value of the stolen property.
Misdemeanor theft in Texas breaks down as follows:
- Class A Misdemeanors are the most serious, defined by a stolen value ranging from $500 to $1,499. Penalties can include up to a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000.
- Class B Misdemeanors are defined by a stolen value ranging between $50 and $499, or if the stolen property included a form of identification. Penalties can include up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
- Class C Misdemeanors are the least serious, defined by a stolen value of less than $50. Penalties do not include jail time but may involve a fine of up to $500.
State Jail Felony Theft
State Jail Felony Theft accounts for instances of theft where the value of the stolen property is valued between $1,500 and $19,999, or if the stolen property included a firearm or certain livestock animals values below $20,000.
Convictions for these offenses can include a penalty of 180 days to two years in state jail and a fine of up to $10,000.
Just as with misdemeanors, felony theft crimes are divided into three degrees of severity, determined by the value of the stolen property.
Felony theft in Texas breaks down as follows:
- First-Degree Felonies are the most serious offenses. These involve stolen property or services valued at $200,000 or more. A conviction can mean facing five to 99 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Second-Degree Felonies involve property valued between $100,000 and $199,000. Penalties for this offense can include two to 20 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Third-Degree Felonies involve property valued between $20,000 and $99,999, or certain livestock animals values below $100,000. A conviction can mean two to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
Contact Us for Legal Support
Theft can be as minor or severe as the value of property you are alleged to have stolen. No matter the severity of theft charges you are facing, we at DebnamRust PC can help. Our theft attorneys in Dallas can help you build a personalized legal defense that may help you mitigate or eliminate your responsibility for your charges.
For more information about our legal services, contact us online!
"I am pleased to know you and I am happy to bring you clients if I can."Rola H.
"I have personally worked with Brent Debnam on numerous criminal cases and can't say enough, how amazing he is. He is compassionate, hard-working, diligent and committed to fighting for his clients."Rasha Z.
"From my experience with DebnamRust, It was definitely, 'Voice of God'."Bhavya Batra
Client-CenteredOur lawyers are here to support you by providing you with reliable legal advice and shouldering the burden of your case.
Open CommunicationEven legal processes that initially appear simple can quickly become complex. We ensure that all of our clients are educated and prepared along the way.
Stress-FreeWe'll help you fill out and file forms for your case - streamlining the process so that you don't have to worry about getting bogged down in legal minutiae.
Inclusive Law FirmWe're a client-focused firm committed to helping all of our clients seek a positive resolution in their legal disputes, no matter their situation.