Dallas Misdemeanor & Felony Attorneys
Defending Texans in Criminal Offense Disputes
Receiving a misdemeanor or felony charge can be life-changing. If you find yourself embroiled in a criminal defense case, you need a lawyer you can trust to represent your rights and advocate for you in and out of court. Our Dallas misdemeanor and felony lawyers will do exactly that.
What's the Difference Between a Misdemeanor & a Felony in TX?
Generally, misdemeanors are reserved for less "serious" crimes. Misdemeanor penalties often involve little to no jail time or monetary fines. Additionally, it may be possible to have a misdemeanor expunged from your criminal record, removing traces of it and effectively giving you a clean slate.
Some common misdemeanors include:
- Petty theft;
- Possession of marijuana;
- Making terroristic threats;
- Disorderly conduct;
- Possession of paraphernalia;
- Assault by contact.
In contrast, felony charges apply to more serious criminal offenses. Felony penalties often involve significant jail time and/or fines. Expunging a felony is typically not possible.
Common felonies include:
- Aggravated assault;
- Aggravated sexual assault;
- Aggravated kidnapping;
- Deadly conduct with a firearm;
- Third-offense DWI.
Classes of Misdemeanors & Degrees of Felonies
Misdemeanors are arranged from Class C to Class A, with Class C misdemeanors being less serious.
- Class C misdemeanors are punishable by a fine of up to $500.
- Class B misdemeanors are punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000.
- Class A misdemeanors are punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000.
In contrast, felonies are organized by degrees, with 1st degree being the most serious and 3rd degree being the least penalized.
- 3rd degree felonies are punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison and/or a fine up to $10,000.
- 2nd degree felonies are punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.
- 1st degree felonies are punishable by 5 to 99 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.
At DebnamRust, P.C., our Dallas misdemeanor and felony attorneys can help you navigate your criminal offense case.
"I have personally worked with Brent Debnam on numerous criminal cases and can't say enough, how amazing he is. He is compassionate, hard-working, diligent and committed to fighting for his clients."Rasha Z.
"This team of lawyers is compassionate and caring about their clients and the issues they face."Kelli Rabalais
"I am pleased to know you and I am happy to bring you clients if I can."Rola H.
Client-CenteredOur lawyers are here to support you by providing you with reliable legal advice and shouldering the burden of your case.
Open CommunicationEven legal processes that initially appear simple can quickly become complex. We ensure that all of our clients are educated and prepared along the way.
Stress-FreeWe'll help you fill out and file forms for your case - streamlining the process so that you don't have to worry about getting bogged down in legal minutiae.
Inclusive Law FirmWe're a client-focused firm committed to helping all of our clients seek a positive resolution in their legal disputes, no matter their situation.